Forest Conservation Award for Boy and Girl Scouts
The purpose of the Forest Conservation Award program is to make scouts more aware of the many tangible and intangible benefits received from our forests and to give them an opportunity to learn more about this valuable natural resource. This program recognizes both Boy and Girl Scouts in Pennsylvania for their outstanding efforts in completing merit badges, patches, and projects associated with our natural resources. Upon completion of the outlined requirements, scouts receive an 8½" x 11" parchment certificate and a multicolored shoulder patch.
Boy Scouts of America Forest Conservation Award Information
The purpose of this award is to make scouts more aware of the many tangible and intangible benefits received from our forests and to give them an opportunity to learn more about this valuable natural resource. To qualify for the award, a Boy Scout must earn the Forestry merit badge plus two forestry-related merit badges. A scout can receive the award by earning the Forestry merit badge and any two of the following badges:
Nature, Woodwork, Wilderness Survival, Environmental Science, Pulp and Paper, Orienteering, Soil & Water Conservation, Insect Study, Botany, Landscape Architecture, Plant Science, or Weather.
Each council produces its own application. To expedite the processing of the applications, the following items must be included:
1. Name of Scout printed neatly or typed.
2. Complete address of where the troop meets.
3. Time and day of week they meet.
4. Scoutmaster's home phone number and mailing address
5. Completion date of the Forestry merit badge and the names and completion dates of any two of the appropriate merit badges.
6. IMPORTANT: Council approval. We like to communicate with the council rather than the individual troops. We will not approve an application that is not confirmed by the council.
Download a Forest Conservation Award Application for Boy Scouts.
Girl Scouts of the U.S.A.Forest Conservation Award Information
To qualify for the award, a Cadet/Senior Girl Scout must complete the following:
When the Girl Scout has completed the requirements for the award, the leader should send the application to the Girl Scout Council for verification.
To expedite the processing of the applications, the following items must be included:
1. Name of Girl Scout printed neatly or typed.
2. The badges completed (with completion dates listed) that qualify her for the award.
3. Complete address of the troop meeting place.
4. Time and day of the week that the troop meets.
5. Troop leader's name, home phone number and mailing address
6. Name and complete address of council.
7. IMPORTANT: Council member's signature or initials and date application was approved.
Download a Forest Conservation Award Application for Girl Scouts.
The council should forward the application to:
DCNR - Bureau of Forestry
Division of Forest Fire Protection
P.O. Box 8552
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8552
Upon approval of the application, the patch, certificate, and a copy of the application are sent to the District Forester in charge of your troop's area. The District Forester or one of his staff will contact the troop leader and if time allows, present the award. If the award presentation cannot be completed in a timely fashion, the District Forester will forward the award to the troop leader for presentation.