The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) provides internships (both paid and unpaid), which are available to full-time college students. The number of positions varies from year to year, based on Department needs. DCNR is seeking students with majors in Environmental Sciences, Forestry Sciences, Information Technology, Recreation Management, Geology and Geographic Information Systems.
Students interested in an internship with DCNR can look forward to:
- Learning opportunities located throughout the state;
- Job responsibilities directly related to your field of study;
- Experience that can be used upon graduation when seeking full-time employment; and
- Gaining an insight into state government employment.
Depending on the program area, interns may gain experience in:
- Gathering site information
- Assisting in assessing deer damage
- Assisting in timber sale layout
- Assisting with research projects
- Participating in park inspections
- Assisting with camp programming
- Learning about invasive and endangered species
- Assisting with fire suppression
- Participating in site inspections
- Assisting in carbon footprinting
- Participating in GPS/GIS data collection
- Assisting in developing trail maps
- Assisting in the operation of the state park
- Helping to prepare tree-marking paint
- Assisting with fire-prevention programs
- Assisting in painting timber-sale boundary lines
You can complete an application if you are in good academic standing and are enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited college or university, which offers or leads to a an associate's, bachelor's or graduate degree.
To Apply: Complete the DCNR Internship Program Application online and submit it to the Bureau of Human Resources. Or, you can complete the application, print it and mail it to the address below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
We appreciate your interest in employment with the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. If you have any questions, please contact:
Bureau of Human Resources
PO Box 8768
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8768
The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources is an equal opportunity employer.