Groundwater Data and Reports
The Pennsylvania Geological Survey has been characterizing the state's groundwater resources since the 1930s. The Survey continues to develop regional and statewide datasets and reports on groundwater. The complete series of Water Resource Reports, including those long out of print, is now available online. See the following specific reports and lists of reports for groundwater information, including data from other organizations.
- Digital bedrock aquifer characteristics by physiographic section of Pennsylvania. The 2010 geographic information system (GIS) dataset represents a derivative product of the digital bedrock geology dataset and selected water well and groundwater data from Water Resource Report 69. The derivative data are available for downloading in “geodatabase” and shapefile formats.
- Water Resources Report 69, Hydrogeologic and well-construction characteristics of the rocks of Pennsylvania. This 2004 publication on CD–ROM consists mainly of a database in Microsoft Access containing a statewide statistical summary of the hydrogeologic (physical and chemical) and well-construction (well depth and casing length) characteristics of the stratigraphic units on the 1980 state geologic map.
Pennsylvania Groundwater Information System (PaGWIS)
- Enter the online Pennsylvania Groundwater Information System - (PaGWIS).
Water Resource Reports
Groundwater data are available from water resource reports of the Pennsylvania Geological Survey.
Data from Other Organizations
- Pennsylvania groundwater data from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
- USGS groundwater quality data in Pennsylvania: A compilation of computerized [electronic] databases, 1979-2004.
- Geologic reports from the USGS National Geologic Map Database.
- DEP ambient groundwater monitoring program groundwater data on Pennsylvania Spatial Data Access website (PASDA).
- EPA’s STORET, a computerized environmental data system.