First Pennsylvania Geological Survey Maps
1858 State Geologic Map
The 1858 geologic map of Pennsylvania was based on mapping by the First Pennsylvania Geological Survey from 1836 (the year the Survey was founded) to 1857. The map, which was engraved and printed in Edinburgh by W. & A. K. Johnston, was issued in 1858 as part of an atlas that accompanied the final report of the First Survey. Fieldwork for the map was done under the direction of Henry D. Rogers, the first State Geologist. Rogers, who was 26 when appointed in 1836, had been the New Jersey State Geologist the previous year. The final report contained two volumes for a total of 1,631 pages. More information on the First Pennsylvania Geological Survey can be found in the February 1987 issue of Pennsylvania Geology (v. 18, no. 1), which commemorated the sesquicentennial year of the establishment of the Survey.
The title block of the 1858 geologic map (shown to the left) reads: “Geological Map of the State of Pennsylvania, constructed from original surveys made between the years 1836 and 1857. Under the Superintendence of Henry D. Rogers, State Geologist. To accompany the Final Report on the Geological Survey of the State 1858.”
The map was published on three sheets at an approximate scale of 1:330,570 (1 inch = 5.22 miles). The downloadable image was created from a scan of 24 individual sections of the map that long ago had been mounted on one piece of canvas.
1858 Anthracite Fields of Pennsylvania
This map (shown to the right) was also included in the atlas that accompanied the final report. It was based largely on original work by the First Survey during the early 1850s. The anthracite map was printed on two sheets at an approximate scale of 1:115,200 (1 inch = 1.82 miles).